Internet Dating and Romance Scams

Welcome to the place to inform and educate yourself about safe internet dating

LaPorte County couple loses $100,000 in Nigerian scam

November 17, 2014 4:58 pm  •  Stan Maddux Times Correspondent

LAPORTE | A visit to a dating website resulted in a LaPorte County man and his wife being scammed out of about $100,000.

LaPorte County police on Monday said documentation provided by the woman showed more than $20,000 of the funds were wired by her 40-year-old husband to Nigeria.

Many such scams originate out of Nigeria, but local law enforcement may be able to do little unless they receive help from outside authorities, said LaPorte County Police Chief of Detectives Pat Cicero.

“We’re going to try and help him out as much as we can but there are some jurisdictional issues,” said Cicero.

The Kingsbury-area woman reported Sunday night her husband about a year ago started having contact with a woman on a dating website.

The woman at some point asked him for money so he could secure an inheritance and she would pay him back once he collected.

The scam was discovered two weeks ago by his wife when she noticed suspicious charges on her credit card and learned about her husband’s activity on the dating website, police said.

Her husband had also given the woman from the dating website, who went by the name “Miss Sanders,” his driver’s license number along with personal information like his Social Security Number and credit card information.

Several lines of credit were also opened for him to secure cash advances to forward to the woman, who claimed to be from Mississippi, police said.

Police said the victim’s wife was gathering other documentation to show where the remainder of the funds were transferred.

So far, police said investigators learned three men in Nigeria picked up the money that was wired and have possible names of the suspects.

Cicero said the same scam is being pulled nationwide but he did not know the extent law enforcement in Nigeria might be willing to cooperate with police agencies in this country to try and stop it.

“This is an issue that’s been ongoing for a very long time. The United States government is aware of it. We’ll do what we can,” said Cicero.
http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/laporte/laporte-county-couple-loses-in-nigerian-scam/article_8760bafd-ec37-5577-b68e-df2867c6aee6.html

Advertisements

November 19, 2014 - Posted by | Uncategorized

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: