Internet Dating and Romance Scams

Welcome to the place to inform and educate yourself about safe internet dating

EFCC nabs alleged romance scammer over $100,000 deal

THE Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) said it arrested an alleged internet fraudster for obtaining 100,000 dollars from one Miss Hengameh Misepasi in a romance scam.

Mr Wilson Uwujaren, spokesman of the EFCC, in a statement issued in Abuja on Sunday, said the suspect was arrested in Port Harcourt by operatives of the commission.

The statement said the arrest followed a petition from the Nigerian Embassy in Stockholm, Sweden.

“The suspect allegedly met the victim online in February 2013 and falsely represented himself as an American business executive on business visit to Nigeria.

“In the course of the internet affair, he promised his victim marriage and later began to make monetary demands on her, using various excuses.

“Once, he told her that he had problems with government officials and requested for a loan,” it said.

The statement had accused the suspect of cajoling Misepasi into partnering with him on a phantom timber business.

According to the statement, the last request the suspect made before his arrest was a demand for 10,000 dollars to enable him to travel to Denmark to meet her.

“It was while he was attempting to withdraw 100 dollars sent by the victim, instead of the 10,000 dollars requested through Western Union that he was arrested,” the statement added.

It said the suspect would be arraigned as soon as investigation was completed. (NAN)
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/national-news/194467-efcc-nabs-alleged-romance-scammer-over-100-000-deal

January 19, 2015 Posted by | Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Romance scammers take $11 million off West Australians

WHEN Janet was contacted by an engineer on a dating website last year, she thought she had found a nice, good-looking man who was fascinating to talk to on the phone. But during the next five months, the 70-year-old lost a five-figure sum before realising scammers were pretending to be her Australian beau working in Kuala Lumpur.

After romancing Janet, “Richard McCarthy” told her he had problems with his engineering contract, had lost his credit card and needed a loan.

“He needed money for parts and asked for it to be put into his Malaysian business account, but always promised he would pay it back and even put that in writing,” Janet said.

“I began to get suspicious when we could never meet in person despite him travelling through Perth.

“I went to the airport to meet him once and he wasn’t there.”

A friend did an internet image search of his photos and revealed the scam to Janet.

“I felt betrayed and emotionally abused, and I still struggle to get my head around how somebody could be so wicked,” she said.

“Financially, it’s been a disaster, but the betrayal of trust is worse.”

The scammers used stolen photos of NSW actor and musician Clive Hodson.

“The fact that somebody can hide behind my photographs is very disturbing,” Mr Hodson said.

Janet was among 164 victims of romance fraud who lost a total of almost $11 million – the equivalent of $66,000 each – last year.

In total, 657 people reported losing $16.8 million with other scams involving investments, buying and selling online, business and technology.

Commerce Minister Michael Mischin said romance fraudsters targeted the lonely, vulnerable, isolated and elderly.

Detective Senior Sergeant Steve Potter said without Project Sunbird – a joint anti-fraud initiative with Consumer Protection – the numbers could have been higher.

He said more than 2000 letters had been sent since 2013, with the first letter leading to 60 per cent of victims ceasing to send money.

Those who continued received another letter, and about 40 per cent stopped after that.

Det Snr Sgt Potter said work with Nigerian authorities continued to bring offenders in west Africa to justice, but there were fraudsters in other countries including China, Turkey and Malaysia.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/romance-scammers-take-11-million-off-west-australians/story-fnhocxo3-1227186042733?nk=8c8626dd2040c98b0887f5250de475a1

January 19, 2015 Posted by | Uncategorized | Leave a comment

   

%d bloggers like this: